Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Peony Connexion

This week's arts lesson, held yesterday, went one full round, back to the Chinese floral elites that we have started with in the beginning, specifically the Peony, a symbol of elegance and class. But with a difference: they are no more by themselves, but in combination with other inhabitants of the environment, most having a symbiotic relationship among them. Unlike we humans who tend to view the Peony and other flowers as objects of beauty to be ogled. But that's the starting point only since the serenity, the harmony, the sense of life that such a sight confers, and the pleasure that it evokes, goes beyond pure aesthetics and sense simulation into mind relaxation and perhaps, therapeutics.

Hope in some way my drawings below can achieve a modicum of tranquility in your hurried life, after a hard day's work, setting you in the proper frame of mind to ease into the weekend.













This is necessarily a photoshot due to its large size taken while pinned (actually by magnets) on the fridge door, the rice paper refusing my advances to stay flat.

8 comments:

Lee Wei Joo said...

Great drawings mom, I especially liked the first one. Great arrangement and colors. Keep up the excellent work.

Anonymous said...

I have had one lesson and have 2 books on brush painting and I am no where near showing anything. I like what you have done and look forward to painting birds . Love them.

I have added this site to m y page

Bee said...

Thanks for your kind words and for adding my site to your page.

Given time, I'm sure you would be able to accomplish what you set out to do in chinese brush painting as you have done so admirably well for the other art forms.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I absolutely love the painting with the two birds.

If I wanted to use this image on a postcard (for responses to a wedding invitation) how could we make that happen and for what cost?

Thanks,
Jennine Gorman
Bride
860-567-0655

Bee said...

Dear Jennine,

We are honored.

You can save the image directly from the webpage. But if you need one with a higher resolution, just drop me an email and I will email it to you.

All the best wishes on your wedding.

Bee

Bee said...

Dear Jennine,

My apologies. My email is:

beekhoon@gmail.com

Bee

Me, Myself n I said...

Dear Bee

I recently came back from a short trip to China where at a school visit, I saw some young children doing some amazing calligraphy work and while preparing for a presentation and looking for graphics to use for my slides, I came across your amazing pieces. Just had to tell you that they are amazing and I am so inspired to try taking some classes to learn more about it. I am hoping that I could also use your pictures for my slides. It's not for commercial purpose but rather an in house sharing to a group of educators on my learning from the trip. But just needed to check if you're okay with that. Thanks once again for sharing your amazing drawings and looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful pieces.

Regards,
Liz

Bee said...

Thanks, Liz, for visiting and for your compliments.

Go ahead and use any picture that you would like. Knowing that my works are used for educational purposes really makes my day.