Thursday, March 27, 2008

Loving Kindness and Buddha, in form

It was time to practice another related hobby of mine, chinese brush calligraphy. And I have chosen to write two characters that are close to my heart, and which are essentially two rolled into one.

Buddha written in Chinese, meaning the awakened/enlightened one. I think this is one of the not too many Chinese words that have not been subjected to simplication in stroke as adopted widely throughout the world except perhaps Taiwan where the traditional strokes are still preferred. I was taught the traditional strokes in school but have since adapted to the simplified form when the government of the day decided that the change was desirable. Just as well, now I'm kind of proficient in both. Personally, I think the elegance, the forcefulness of the stroke, of chinese calligraphy is better expressed using the traditional form.

This is love, which has been simplified. Shown here is the traditional form which embeds a heart within. How befitting. In the simplified form, the heart and below have been replaced by another word that means friend, literally. I guess that would do too. The calligraphy was on a textured card where the vertical lines are laced by gold dust glued to the surface, giving the "sunken" apperance of the word.

2 comments:

Bee said...

Yes, Onedia, go with your heart. From my experience, you do need the peace of mind to be able to learn.

c.y. lee said...

Heehee the "love" calligraphy reminds me of The Matrix...