Saturday, April 26, 2008

Foraging, Scanning, Pirouetting, Resting: Motion in Nature

On the eve of the Arts class scheduled for tomorrow, I continued to practice painting of the various life forms in nature, getting inspiration from the following two publications:

1) Chinese Brush: Learn to paint step by step, Lucy Wang (Walter Foster, 2003 ed.)[I bought it using the 50% discount coupon from Michaels some time ago].

2) Chinese painting techniques, Alison Stilwell Cameron (Dover Publications, 1999) [This was on loan from the local public library].

As I have done before, I have added some touches of my own here and there, sometimes combining two drawings from there into one, and sometimes adding a tree for perching.

Humming bird on a beak-centric foraging.

Another hummingbird pondering on the abundance of food to be picked.

A lovers' rendezvous. And there it is, one of my two name stamps, this one featuring my given name. Thanks to Sophia.

Eyes scanning the horizon, winds spreading, ready to soar and pounce on a moment's notice, or visual provocation.

A cicada in a restful state, casually clinging to the breeze-swayed branch.

A pirouetting pair of bees, selecting their targets to partake of the nectar.

1 comment:

Lee Wei Joo said...

Nice pictures! I especially like the first and fourth ones. And the name stamp is a nice touch!