Friday, April 18, 2008

Chirping and swimming birds

More birdies are coming your way, drawings that I have pieced together from several bird drawings found in Chinese Painting Techniques by Alison Stillwell Cameron (Dover Publications, Inc, 1999), but suitably altered to add in a slight touch of my own.

Let's start with a simple one: a lone bird perching forlornly on a bare tree branch, the black and white rendering suggestive of morose brooding.

Then there is color.

Then companionship ...

And be merry.

And a lover's gaze.

Nothing seems more fitting than to end the bird show with a pair of duckies, from the air to the water.

3 comments:

Lee Wei Joo said...

I liked the 5th one the best. How expressive!

c.y. lee said...

Mmm!!! I especially like the first one--the bird looks pensive; the fourth one--they look so cute and pretty sitting on the bamboo!; and the fifth one--such pretty colors and pretty birds! Wonderful job, Mom, and, as always, good work on the captions, Dad. :)

Say Lee said...

Yes, "pensive", exactly the word I was looking for, but I could only think of "plaintive" then, which was too sorrowful for the occasion. So I settled on "morose". One of the few occasions when my vocab bank failed me.