Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Perennials in Nature and Paintings: Trees

Trees have featured prominently in brush painting. For example, the knotty Pine in chinese brush painting, sometimes with its convoluted trunks seemingly emanating from rock cliffs.

So the main theme in my Arts class last Friday (Dec 14, 2007) was the good old tree. And as usual, we started with trees in different stands, different shapes, different canopies. And then we combine these with the elements learned earlier (mountains and rocks) to compose a scenery of nature, much like an ensemble of different musicians playing a symphony: a cacaphony falling in steps to become a melody, harmony par excellence. Of course I still have a long way to go to reach that so-called resonant state where the sum rises above its parts. But incrementally, with perseverance, I will continue to work on it, not so much caring for the end but rather enjoying every bit along the way.

The elemental trees.
More of the same (from a leafy to a defoliated state).

And a scenery where it all comes together, at its rudimentary form.

2 comments:

Release Live said...

wow, I am very impressed about how you draw the tree,..the first, 2nd, third, 4th picture, it looks really really nice, I would love to see the "actual" copy. I see the color now.

Beekhoon sister, you have a very very pure and beautiful heart, I think your pictures reveal that.

I am very very very very very thankful that to met you and influenced by you.

thank you for being so kind and sweet, and wonderful to me.

thank you for practice Buddhism well so I can look up to you.

Love, Yu Huei

c.y. lee said...

I really like the trees!!