Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tulip in 5, 3, 2, 1 ...

I bought several stalks of tulip, still in a closed position, from Publix last weekend. The next morning I found the buds were all drooping pitifully, like kids hanging their heads after being spanked. But once I poured in some water into the vase, their buds became upright, well, almost. Apparently the stem must have taken in water to set up an osmotic pressure of sort to counter gravity. But I hope to be advised on that.

Most people like me usually associate the Tulip with Holland. But these prerennial bulbous plants are not native to Holland, but rather Central Asia.

Anyway, this morning the tulips bloomed, the petals opening up invitingly. I took up the invitation and settled down to draw them, tracing out their blossoming process.


First there was one bud, standing out in solitude, flanked by leaves.

Then there were two, the petals still closed, before the magic moment.

The magic moment has arrived, one revealing its full magnificence while two others slightly agape.

Then it's a party of five, each posing distinctly.

And this is the real thing, in digital format. Did I do justice to their splendor?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bee (wify)....finally got a chance to sit down and catch up with Say's blogs and remembered about your blog that you told me about at the last Middle Way session. Very nice....You have a remarkable talent, a creative talent and it's nice to see you put it to use. I especially enjoyed the bamboos and the birds.
Keep up the good work,

Your friend,

Arnold

Bee said...

Thanks, Arnold, for your kind words. Hope to expand my range in times to come.

Bell said...

Hi Bee,
I am Bell Choo. I got to know your blog through Say Lee's. Kok Chan told me about Say Lee's blog.
Nice to get news about you and your family. I like your wild flowers paintings. Keep it up. I will be looking forward for more.

Bee said...

Hi Bell Choo,

Thanks for visiting. I will try not to disappoint you.

Say Hi to Kok Chan for me and Say Chong.

Bee