Saturday, September 13, 2008

Poem in Chinese Calligraphy

My favorite online Chinese papers is Sin Chew Jit Poh. I especially love reading its Opinion columns, full of insightful commentaries on the political development back home often couched in subtlety, applying the elegance of Chinese prose to the fullest. Among its columnists, my favorite is Mr. Zheng Ding Xian who has an uncanny sense of the nuances embedded in political maneuvers. This morning, I came across his latest contribution written in the column literally translated as Night Rain Dawn Breeze using a part of a poem as the title (dated Sep 12, 2008).

Hubby likes the piece too and have superposed the poem on one of my earlier landscape paintings, which seems to depict the scenery described in the poem. Of course there is a deeper meaning to the entire poem, which hubby was not able to locate its provenance on a Net search. But he thinks it portrays a calm state of mind, waiting for nature/event to take its course when matter will become clear.



In the process, my calligrahic urge was spurred, and I wrote down the poems shown below.



This is a more flourishing version, my own freedom of expression at work.

2 comments:

Lee Wei Joo said...

Nice calligraphy, and the flowing, expressive stlye of the last one is great!

c.y. lee said...

Hmm I like the second one ('freedom of expression' one) lots better! Very nice.