Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Fun of Draw and Paint, and Ladyhood

Two more new students joined today's Arts lesson: Linda and Mrs. Kim. Mrs. Kim, from Korea, was our neighbor while we were living at South Tampa for a couple of years. Her daughter was a classmate of CE in Plant High School.

As the image shows, the table was put to full use with the complement of Arts students today. Any class expansion, which is likely given the fun that we have had, would entail us getting an additional table, perhaps spilling over into the patio (or lanai as is called here).

Our teacher, Mrs. Fan, sat at the head of the table. Starting from her left going clockwise are: Linda, Ling, Mrs. Kim, and me. The lanai is the space behind Linda and Ling (separated by a French door) with an unobstructed view of the car park (separated only by mosquito netting).

And today's Arts class focused on drawing the images of the Buddha and Bodhisattvas, particularly Guan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy. To put it more correctly, it's actually tracing out from a completed image, for fear of making mistakes if drawn free-hand by beginners like us. But the congenial atmosphere and the pressure-free interaction
are what I valued most from today's session.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog after losing my saved favorites to a computer crash.
I think you ladies are having a lot of fun as well as creating some beautiful works.
By the way, I saw one drawing you did called "Bamboo on green smooth-faced card"....I would love to be one of your first customers if you ever decide to sell some of your work. Of course, I would like for it to be signed.....you never know, you may be famous one day!
Peace, Arnold

Bee said...

Thanks, Arnold, for your kind and encouraging words.

I would certainly keep your request in mind if and when I made the leap.